Thakadu River Camp
Thakadu River Camp is a wholly-owned Community-based Tented Safari Camp within Madikwe Game Reserve. The Tented Camp, located on the banks of the Marico River, is an ecotourism partnership between North-West Parks, the Molatedi Community and the operator, The Madikwe Collection. The community has a 45-year lease to operate a commercial lodge with traversing rights across the Reserve. The concept is unique in South Africa in that the community owns the development, with substantial benefits accruing to the community itself.
Thakadu River Camp consists of 12 tented suites, each with their own viewing deck overlooking the river. The tents are spacious and are superbly decorated and appointed. 4 of the tents are set to one side and make up Little Thakadu which is perfect for families or small groups of up to 8 people. This lodge has a phenomenal atmosphere due to the foundations upon which it is built and the gratitude of the community which it is helping to build.
Thakadu River Camp has 12 tented suites. They are large and spacious and are wonderfully decorated and appointed. Within the canvas frame, the interior is uniquely designed to incorporate a full bathroom. Each tent has a sliding door that opens onto a private deck overlooking the river. Of the 12 tented suites, 4 are family units, each with an extra sleeper couch catering for children.
The main camp is located between the Marico River and a small tributary of the Marico. The main area comprises an open plan lounge, dining and reception area, with the pool and bar area offering views of the gully and river to the north. A traditional ‘lapa’ falls within a glade of natural riverine forest. The décor of the camp has a strong Afro-Asian Safari ambience to it, with use of natural stone, fibres, cloth and carpets as well as metal and wood featuring prominently throughout the camp. The influence of the river is very apparent, with the trees, birds and water providing a peaceful and tranquil mood within the camp.
Madikwe is home to a tremendous diversity of fauna and flora, including both black and white rhino, buffalo, elephant, lion, leopard, cheetah and wild dog. The camp is a superb walking and open vehicle safari destination where guests are accompanied by well-trained and informative rangers who are able to interpret the many encounters whilst on safari. Other activities include tracking, stargazing, bush dining and birding.
WHAT TO TAKE
Walking shoes, sun hat, sunglasses, sun block, cameras, binoculars, light clothing and bathing suit in summer and warm clothing and jackets in winter. Please also bring a warm rain jacket in summer as the evening drives in open vehicles can get rather cold. As the camp is located on the river it can be extremely cold in the middle of winter. Whilst the lodge has taken every precaution to ensure your comfort we would advise to bring extra clothing for the evenings.
The camp caters for children. We do however recommend that children under the age of 6 years do not go on game drives. We have four tented suites catering for families where a Queen-size sleeper couch is available for children.
|01 April 2015 – 30 September 2015||Per person sharing(dbl room)||Per person single||Children 2-12 yrs sharing|
|Double Room||R2500.00||R3800.00||R1300.00||Book Now|
|1 October 2015 – 30 April 2016||Per person sharing(dbl room)||Per person single||Children 2-12 yrs sharing|
|Double Room||R2900.00||R4470.00||R1500.00||Book Now|
Madikwe Game Reserve Road Transfer
|Road transfer||1 – 3 pax||4 -7 pax||8 – 13pax|
|One way transfer, per vehicle (including entrance fees if booked with accommodation) from/to Gauteng province||R3800pv||R4800pv||R7200pv|
Terms and conditons – Thakadu River Camp
- TARIFFS ARE QUOTED: * Inclusive of 14% V.A.T. * In South African Rands * Subject to availability
- TARIFFS CHANGES: All tariffs quoted are subject to change, without prior notice, however fully paid bookings will be honoured
- TARIFFS INCLUDE: * Luxury accommodation * Two game drives per day * All meals daily * Welcome drinks and teas & coffees at meals * Road transfer from the Madikwe Airstrip to the Lodge
- ARIFFS EXCLUDE: * Curio shop purchases * Drinks * Telephone calls * Lodge transfers * Airport Tax * Tourism Levy * Fly in fee * Laundry services unless otherwise indicated *Specialised coffees * Gate entry fees (R160 per adult, R80 per child –subject to change) *Babysitting
- CHILDREN: * Children (0- 12yrs) of all ages are welcome at most of our lodges * Babysitters available (at extra cost) *Children under 6 years old are not permitted on game drives * Children’s programs available * Children sharing room with parents pay 50% *Children in own room charged full price * No charge
for children under 2yrs
- PAYMENT: A deposit of 50% of the total accommodation/package charge is required on reservation.
- CANCELLATIONS: Our cancellation policy is as follows:
Four weeks before arrival – 75% of full amount.
Two weeks before arrival – 100% of full amount
- ARRIVAL / DEPARTURE: Guests may arrive any time from 12:00 am, and rooms are to be vacated by 11:00am.
- WHAT TO TAKE: * Comfortable walking shoes * Sun hat * Sunglasses * Sun block * Cameras and binoculars * Light, neutral coloured clothing * Swimming costume * Warm jackets are essential in winter (May -October)
GATE ENTRANCE FEES: Gates open @ 06h00 & closes @ 21h00.
- Entrance fee into the Madikwe Reserve by road, please settle in camp (R50pp–Adults, R25pp– children).
- AIR TRANSFERS & PRIVATE CHARTERS: * Daily scheduled MADIKWE AIR/FEDERAL AIR flights from O.R.Tambo Airport (JIA). * Private charters are available on request. Fly in fee into the Madikwe Reserve; please settle in camp (R100 per adult, R50 per child – subject to change)